Thursday 23 January 2014

Mathematics?

Typically, when the subject math is brought up, I think about numbers and solving equations. After these superficial thoughts pass, I'm left thinking how math can mean problem solving and how that can be applied to many different situations in life.

After some research I have discovered that over the years the term mathematics has come to mean different things to different people and there is no universal definition. Most definitions classify mathematics as a science.

One of the more interesting findings that I found was from a mathematics professor at Fordham University. Dr. Lewis stated that "mathematics is not about answers, it's about process". This surprised me a little because I pretty much had the exact opposite thoughts about math. I thought that when it came to math that the answer was the most important thing.. that's what you were doing all of the work for! But, upon reflection, during my time in the school system, having the right workings but the wrong answer did get you some marks. I feel that by thinking the same way that Dr. Lewis does about math makes the process a lot more appealing.

While doing research on the definition of mathematics I found this silly, but interesting video on math, which questions if it was discovered or created, if there is a math 'truth', or if math even exists. If you haven't been confused yet today.. here's your chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment