Wednesday 15 January 2014

My Mathematical Autobiography

When reflecting back on the mathematics education that I received from kindergarten to grade six, I realized that I only remember being taught in one specific way. I remember each of my teachers teaching new concepts to the class, followed by some modeling with class participation. We were then sent to work solving the assigned problems from our text books. I do not recall learning mathematics through play or in any other way than how I described. I do not have a specific best or worst memory in relation to mathematics in the primary/elementary grades, but have always had a positive experience with it. I did not have to work too hard to be successful learning the concepts that were introduced in class. I also had a strong support system at home to help me with any problems that may have come up. I was considered "good" at math because I received nineties and hundreds on most of my tests and completed most of my seat work and home work correctly.

I feel that if any of my math teachers had any negative feelings towards math that they disguised them well enough so that I did not catch on to their dislike of the subject. I think that this is an important aspect of teaching to encourage children to learn things that will be important to them. Teachers should not let their personal feelings on such subjects influence how children feel about it. The teachers that I had all assessed in a similar way. They would correct seat work, home work, and work sheets and give tests.


In high school math was still taught in the same manner, by teaching the new concepts by building on what we know, teacher modeling, and student practice. I did not achieve top marks at the beginning of high school but they got better in the later years due to better concentration and different teachers. In high school, I liked the idea of how math had a definite answer, but while doing tests it caused me to have a lot of anxiety because for the most part, I was either going to be right or wrong. Since starting university I have taken a course on finite mathematics and algebra and trigonometry, the latter being my favorite.


I feel that although I engage with mathematics in my life, it is in a subtle way. I do not think of it as doing math, I think of it as banking and shopping list estimates. Mathematics has found a way into my life in a useful, noninvasive way. Since having a mathematical background helps me with my daily life, I definitely feel like it is necessary for children to acquire math skills to better their futures!

No comments:

Post a Comment